7 misconceptions of social media
An Uncertain Future?
We believe the challenges most charities’ face come down to three issues: funding, publicity and managing volunteers
- Applying for grants is time-consuming and the odds are against you.
- Becoming a social enterprise can mean fund raising from the very people you are trying to help
- Volunteers need screening as they do not necessarily understand their importance to your organisation and the strain it puts on your resources training them
An Alternative funding model
Using social media as an alternative funding/recruiting/promotion method rolled into one – by clustering local businesses and the public around your cause on a social media platform.
You get publicity allowing you to get your messages into the community directly
Businesses can donate and showcase their products/services and introduce themselves to each other
Businesses can gain the gratitude of the community and fulfil their social responsibilities (CSR)
Updating your marketing strategy?
Informing your community?
Whatever sector you are in maintaining communication & TRUST with the different elements of your organisation is crucial to survival & success.
Question. How many email newsletters do you save each month with every intention of reading but never quite get around to because your time is at a premium?
How many people do you think are in the same position as you? Is creating the very said newsletter a continual struggle?
Learn how to manage different social media communication channels to publish information in a regular and less constructed format allowing whoever you choose to publish. By being regular but a less constructed format allows people to dip in and out of your news in their won time – improving the penetration of your information.
Attract & retain people this way.
Streamlined communication across a number of different platforms means you take your message to a wider audience; allowing people to stumble across you increasing reach again.
Allowing your stakeholders to remain in touch naturally encourages engagement!
Establishing trust to a point of engagement only happens once a face to face (off line) meeting has occurred. Social media assists in the development of relationships to “it’s time for a meeting now! I want to volunteer/donate. How can I help?”
Overcoming the objections of
- I haven’t got time to meet you
- Why do we need to meet
- I do not want to be involved in your sector
- Who are you and your organisation
- Why should I donate?
Allowing you to engage with them to the point of saying
- Why don’t we meet up now to properly engage
- I don’t understand this but like what you are saying
- You have received a number of recommendations so I feel that we should meet
- You write a lot of sense I value your opinion can you help me with this
- I wish to donate now I know more about you
- Promote events & stay in touch with people
- Connect easily with people you meet at networking events and stay in touch simply
- Add to your organisations professional image and profile
- Obtain referrals by allowing stakeholders to join groups & discussions you manage
- Unsolicited approaches to connect to people online are generally welcomed
- Reading someone else’s profile helps you target your marketing
- Manage more relationships with more effective communication
- Professional coaching to publish profiles and articles
- Get into the mind of your audience
- Attracting people to you. Who likes cold calling?
- Working smarter not harder online
- Overview of social media putting today’s communication environment into context
- Brief resume of terminology
- Become an expert, dominate your space, become more widely known, law of attraction
- What is your core focus, vision and mission
- What is your strategy? Who are your target markets? Understanding/creating tribal patterns
- Creating your personal profile – do’s/don’ts and how to
- Promoting events
- Creating discussions
- Sharing media content
- Posting a blog
- Hints and tips, do’s and don’ts using widely used platforms (gained from experience)
- Automating your strategy as much as possible – hints and tips on saving time, effort & monitoring
- Training will involve individual/group work & multimedia
- The future – a brief introduction to web 3.0 inc Google Wave
- The power of email
- Mobile technology
- Assisting your PR with social media
- Your connection to our world will be more purposeful
- You will leave with a full sense of purpose, understanding and fulfilment
Exciting Facebook Facts
33,018,991 monthly active users on Facebook Dec 09
Approximately 10% global Facebook population
Number of Causes on Facebook
- Animals 22,284 causes
- Public Advocacy 37,167 causes
- Environment 17,639 causes
- International 27,089 causes
- Religion 15,805 causes
- Human Services 65,377 causes
- Arts & Culture 24,446 causes
- International 27,089 causes
- Education 23,795 causes